Friday, October 1, 2010

One third down, two thirds to go....

Two weeks ago, I got to go to the beautiful country of Croatia for a conference! Josh left a couple days earlier, so Taylor and I came with the kids on Wednesday. When we were about an hour outside of Sarajevo, Taylor realized she forgot all the passports! So we had to turn around and go back (right during rush hour traffic). We finally ended up at our destination, Zagreb (5 hr drive total), very late, probably around midnight. Everyone was pretty exhausted!

The next day, we continued our drive to Porec, on the coast, which was another 4 hrs. The hotel that everyone else was staying in was over booked, and so I got put in a brand new 4 star hotel by myself for a night, very nice!

During the week, I watched the kids so that Josh and Taylor and another couple could go to the sessions. Sadly, it was pretty rainy, so I was only able to take the kids out for short periods of time. Still, we soaked up the time on the playground between rain showers. The coast is very beautiful and green! I was surprised to find pine trees overhanging the ocean, never seen that before. The kids and I also found seashells of course, and sea glass, which I have only read about, never found, very cool!

The food buffet was great, huge dinner and breakfast!

On the way home, I rode with the Trousdale family ( Jonathon, Ashley, and little Tyler) and about 15 mins outside of Zagreb on the highway, the car just died on the side of the road. We called a friend in Zagreb to help us, but just before we were about to tell him where we were, Jonathon's phone ran out of credit! We tried to start the car again after about 10 mins and it miraculously started and got us to an exit ramp and a gas station. Long story short, a friend came to pick us up, car got towed, and we were able to stay for free in Zagreb. The car, an American Nissan with auto transmission, which was rented in Bosnia, needed a new alternator. Amazingly, a shop in Zagreb had the specific alternator that we needed totally a God thing. So we were stuck there for 2 nights instead of a week possibly if they didn't have the part!

Zagreb is an incredible city! So unique and beautiful! The old town was like a huge maze, the buildings are all built into each other (no space in between) and the streets are narrow. Zagreb, just like Sarajevo, is very fashionable, everyone always looks super stylish. I, on the other hand, was not stylish, and was stuck in the exact same clothes for the 3 days we were there because the Irby's had my luggage!

Here's one other funny moment from the ride home. The Trousdales and I stopped in a town in the middle of nowhere in Bosnia to eat, we were starving and couldn't wait any longer. We walk in and this super sweet old woman says that she only serves Cevapi, the fast food of Bosnia, which is sausages inside flat bread with sour cream dip. Now we were thinking, it must be really good if thats the only thing she serves! Hahaha nope...this was the greasiest food I've had in a long time, couldn't even finish half of it because it was so heavy. So much for being starving.....:) Anyway, overall it was a great trip and I am so glad I got to see Croatia!

Since then, I have been watching the kids and meeting more new friends. On Sunday, I had lunch after church with the Cunninghams (Stephanie and Craig) and Joy, all friends with the Irby's (and now my friends), which was great. Then, I rode the tram home by myself, walked around downtown, and bought new shoes, all by myself. I was sooo proud! Then on Tues night, I had coffee with my new friend Liz, who works with an outdoor adventure club. We sat and talked on top of the one of the tallest buildings in Sarajevo for a couple hours, so fun!

We also had dinner this week with our neighbors this week: a mom, dad, and their 13 yr old daughter who don't speak any English at all! It was interesting to sit through a conversation where I understood nothing and could offer no input. I actually understood things here and there, just from a few words and gestures. It was great for Taylor's and Josh's language learning! And they did translate a couple parts of the conversation for me, so that was cool.

The most interesting part for me was when the couple was talking about the war and what it was like. Snipers and cannons on the mountains that you can see from my bedroom balcony....You can't really picture something like that until you've seen the place and heard stories from people who lived through it. I was blown away by their courage and perseverance to stay in their home here during the war.

I am almost nearing my one month mark! But I am definitely starting to miss Phoenix a lot! I have such beautiful friends, family, and church community, so thankful for everyone in my life.
As I write, I am longing to hug so many people! It is hard to know that I am missing a lot of what is going on at home, but I know God has placed me here for a specific reason. Please pray that God would give me the strength to trust Him with my lonely heart.

Fun upcoming events:

Elijah's superhero birthday party on Oct 9th (Taylor and I are in the midst of planning it)
Apple picking at a farm
Having an actor from the movie Slumdog Millionaire over to our house for coffee
Having dinner at Slavko's (another Bosnian friend) house with him and his family


1 comment:

  1. What an exciting adventure you're having, Shannon! It sounds like you are learning so much about so many things! May God continue to bless you with His comfort and peace in those lonely times. love you

    ReplyDelete